Hearing loss awareness
Over 36 million American adults have some degree of hearing loss. That is over 4 times the amount of people who live in New York City. The statistics are shocking and even more so knowing that over half of those 36 million Americans are under the age of 65. It is no longer just a health concern for seniors.
Causes of hearing loss
Hearing loss can be caused by exposure to loud noises, trauma, or ear disease; harm to the inner ear, illness and deterioration due to the normal aging process. The amount of noise Americans are exposed to today plays an important role in the recent increase of hearing loss across the nation.
Some signs of hearing problems are:
• trouble hearing conversation in a noisy environment such as restaurants
• difficulty following along in group conversations
• Increasing the volume on the television and the sound still not being clear
• difficulty or inability to hear people talking to you without looking at them
• withdrawal from social gatherings
If you think you may have a hearing loss, a hearing evaluation will determine the degree and what can be done. Although most hearing loss is permanent, an audiologist can determine the best treatment.
In response to the growing number of Americans suffering from hearing loss the American Academy of Audiology has launched National Audiology Awareness Month each October. Now is a great time to make an appointment with your AGX hearing care provider.